Keeping your pet safe over Easter

Keeping your pet safe over Easter

As it is Easter weekend, the staff at Highfield Vets would like to wish you all a very happy Easter. The long weekend brings lots of excitement but unfortunately, this time of year can have hidden dangers for our pets, these dangers are mainly in the form of chocolate, easter egg packaging and lamb bones.  

 

Chocolate and pets:  

Although there are plenty of myths surrounding the dangers of chocolate when fed to pets, one fact reigns true, feeding your pet chocolate is toxic and can be fatal. Eating chocolate can result in mild symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhoea, but may progress to more severe symptoms such as irregular heartbeat, seizures and coma. Symptoms develop 6-12 hours after eating chocolate and are more severe in cases where your pet has eaten a large amount of chocolate or dark chocolate.  

If you suspect your pet has eaten chocolate we advise you to call your vet immediately and they can advise you on the next steps. If your pet has eaten enough chocolate that may result in illness then we can take action to help and minimise the toxic effects such as making them vomit and administering IV fluids.  

 

Packaging:  

The packaging on Easter eggs frequently smells very tempting to our pets and can result in them eating the cardboard and foil that once surrounded your Easter egg. This can result in stomach upsets and cause vomiting and diarrhoea but it can also result in more serious issues such as a blockage in the stomach or intestines. If your pet has a history of eating packaging and develops vomiting and or diarrhoea the best advice is to call your vet. 

 

Bones: 

As we tuck into our delicious Easter dinner many of us will want to give our pet a treat also. As lamb is such a popular Easter meal it can be tempting to give our pet the bone to chew on. Unfortunately, bones are very dangerous to our pets, particularly cooked bones. Eating bones can result in injury to your pet’s teeth and mouth, and if swallowed can result in damage to the stomach and intestines. Bones are frequently the cause of vomiting, diarrhoea and intestinal blockage and if digested can result in severe constipation requiring medical attention. We never advise feeding your pet’s bones due to these dangers. 

 

Facebook
WhatsApp
Twitter
LinkedIn

Products to explorer